These are things I knew about my birth;
- I was born in the Land of the Maasai - Arusha, Tanzania, 82.6 km from the tallest mountain in Africa, Mt. Kilimanjaro.
- I was born the Easter weekend of 1966 - the Saturday - April 9th.
- I was the first born child of Sultan (Sully) Kanji Mohamed and Aminmohamed Jafferali Asani.
- They had me 10 months after they were married. They were only 24!
- I was born in a little clinic in Arusha.
- My dad wasn't there when I was born. He had a new job and couldn't get away.
- Dr. Strochnider was the German doctor who delivered me.
|The Clinic I was born in.|
And these are things I learned about my birth today;
- Arusha was never my home.
- My parents lived in Dar-es-Salaam.
- My mum came to have me in Arusha because her family lived there and she'd have help.
- My mum was way past her due date - I should have been born the end of March.
- Some wise woman told my mum to have something called 'Agrol' (http://agrolinside.com/ - YIKES!) so the baby would come quicker. It worked!
- My great uncle (Ebrahim Mohamed - we all knew him as Abha and we were all shit scared of him as kids! drove my mum to the hospital).
- There was no family with my mum when she had me.
- I weighed 6 lbs 6 oz.
- My mum never held me after giving birth, she fell asleep (heavily drugged apparently)!
- My grandmother (Sikina) and a great aunt (my mum can't remember which one, Malek (kaki-aunt) or Gula (kaki-aunt)) were our first visitors at the clinic.
- My uncle, Nizar drove us to Nairobi to meet my paternal grandmother, Zerakhanu Asani (a four hour drive and I didn't ask if they had baby car seats in those days!).
- After a month in Arusha, my mum and I took the train home from Moshi to Dar-es-Salaam to see my dad for the first time!
|Arusha's Most Famous Landmark - The Clock Tower!|
|My First Abode! My Grandparents home, next to the Greek Club in Arusha.|
I have a baby album that I was hoping to upload pictures from, but I can't find it! From what I remember, there's a picture with a piece of my parent's wedding cake, a picture with a dog and one with my nanny.
This link takes you back to the day I was born and what was going on in the world!
Thank you for sharing Day 2 of 50 with me!